I don’t often refer to myself as a fangirl. To me, it means being such a huge fan of a book or an author’s work that the mere thought of laying hands on their work is happiness personified. Picture me grinning from ear to ear and if you ask me to explain my happiness, prepare for an onslaught of blabbering idiot.
As much as I like to read, I consider such moments to be the most elite of my personal reading experience, aka, they don’t happen too often. Not that the books I rate highly here don’t do it for me. They, do, it’s just that some reach beyond those to a whole other plane of reading for me. So my particular fangirlness is pretty limited. In fact, at the moment, I can only think two author’s works/series that make me feel like bouncing in my seat like a kid tempted with candy, A trip to Disney and a helicopter ride – all on the same day.
One is Kim Harrison’s Rachel Morgan/Hollows series, something I’m betting you know already if you’ve read this blog for a little while now. Another is Lisa Shearin’s Raine Benares fantasy series. In order not to come off sounding like a blabbering idiot too much, I’m going to give you a concise list of why this series kills most others for me – when the next book releases, I’m just going to have to chuck the ARC responsibilities for a couple of days and gorge on fangirl reading delights. Woe unto those that get in my way!
Why The Raine Benares Series Makes Me A Blabbering Idiot:
- Any series that can turn a goblin into a hot, sexy potential boy toy has me. Yeah, it’s the sex-ay for the win.
- Comedy – if you make me bust a gut chuckling, I’m yours. *opens arms wide* Congrats to you, authors!
- Offers up a world that allows me to visualize it clearly, chew on it a little and taste it thoroughly. Mmm, tasty evil magic.
- Ms. Shearin, not only did you give me a hot goblin to get hot over, but you gave me a hot elf as well. *falls prostrate on floor in hot puddle*
- Plots! Mad Plottsing! That continues from one book to the next with mad, mad pacing! Twists! Turns! *dizzy yet happy*
- All of it coming together in a Reading Candyland Mania of Insanely Tasty and Fun Reading Candyland Mania.
So those are just a few of my favorite fangirl/Raine Benares things. Honestly, I feel like I’m gonna burst into happiness when I finally lay hands on the book. My heart’s pitter patter will be heard for miles.
So what about you? What books or series turn you into a gibbering fangirl mess?